Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Another Bumper

Warning: i am about to vent for a minute...
Disclaimer: these are my opinions & thoughts. they may, in fact they very well could be, very wrong.


I came across another bumper sticker the other day. It read: “Jesus is the Answer”. Now I am sure the contents of that bumper sticker have changed hundreds of lives. The dude in that green minivan probably has had many roadside “bumper calls”—people coming down the aisle and finding God. It’s more than likely that people hungry for the answers to their deepest questions hunt him down to say thanks for providing the answers. So I’m probably treading on thin ice and shouldn’t question it, but what does that mean?

What does it mean to the average person who isn’t familiar with “Christian” clichés? Jesus is the answer—okay, let’s take the guy up on that: 2+2=Jesus? Nope. Oh, I know, what’s the capital of Maryland? Jesus. No, that’s not right. Wait, wait, wait…who was the first President of the United States? Jesus. That doesn’t work either. Hmm, maybe it would help if we knew what the question was.

Here’s my question: Why are we content to trivialize God? Why do we make it so easy at times for people to walk away thinking that Christianity is irrelevant and that Christians are odd balls not in touch with reality? And why, please tell me, why do we give nickel answers to million dollar questions?

Final Disclaimer: i am sure i am guilty of this myself, and maybe that's why it frustrates me so stinkin' much.

1 comments:

mimi said...

I've seen the same statement bigger than life on the side of a building. My reaction, like yours, was "What is the question?"

Why do we give small answers to big questions? Here's my top 10 list--
10. No one really ever taught us to think.
9. Big questions don't come with neatly packaged answers.
8. We can't stand uncertainty.
7. We despise saying, "I don't know."
6. We prefer to entertain our minds with trivial things.
5. It's more popular to be funny, than smart.
4. Thinking about big questions makes us feel helpless.
3. When we talk about the big questions, no one listens.
2. Big questions like disease, war, sin, death, and eternal destiny get us squirmy, making it difficult to think.
1. Thinking is hard.

Thanks for getting me to think Adam.

Post a Comment