Monday, June 22, 2009

Reality Check

I don’t blog as much as I would like, I think because I put too much pressure on myself to do it. It becomes too big of a thing and then I don’t get around to it. So, the pressures off. If I get to it great, if not, that’s okay too. Let’s see what happens.

Today I read on a blog about a Pastor from an influential church in GA who committed adultery with his assistant. Truthfully, why don’t these stories surprise me anymore? Not saying I’m not susceptible; maybe that’s the scary part. It prompted me to initiate a discussion with Melody tonight about what we are doing so that doesn’t happen to us. It was a great talk.

I’m not even sure who the blogger is that I read, but he talked about being jaded and he too doesn’t seem to be surprised when this stuff happens. I then read a comment that was posted. This person went on to list the reasons why this kind of thing hasn’t happened to Mark Driscoll. (It didn’t come out of left field, the blogger mentioned Driscoll in his post.) I got worked up a bit when I read what he wrote. I really believe that this has a lot to do with the problem. There is way too much personality worship going on in evangelicalism, at least from what I can see. Mere men are being exalted and the Jesus we admire them for loving is the Jesus that we end up missing. We’ve got lots to learn from each other. But when all is said and all is done, the person we are pointing people to better be Jesus. He’s the Guy that we better be most impressed with.

There’s a real issue when we as church leaders start believing the nice and wonderful things people tell us about ourselves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment